Obligations of the Renter:
• The renter agrees to the provisions of this lease and has received a copy of it.
• The renter has received the mentioned vehicle and its accessories in proper and safe condition.
• The renter/driver shall be at least 20 years old and shall have held a valid driver’s license for at least 1 year before renting the vehicle and must present the license on signing the agreement. The renter/driver shall abide by Icelandic law and regulations when driving.
• The vehicle shall be the responsibility of the renter from the time it is received until such time it is returned and GRAND ICELAND has received it and registered the return of the vehicle.
• The renter shall pay for fuel and whatever else is needed for operating the vehicle during the period it is under his responsibility as understood by this lease.
• The renter shall return the vehicle as stated below:
• With all accessories (including tires, tools and other items) in the condition they were in when received, with the exception of normal wear due to use. The renter agrees that missing or damaged accessories will be charged at cost price to the credit card which the renter provided at the beginning of the rental.
• On the date specified by this lease or sooner if GRAND ICELAND demands it, unless otherwise agreed.
• To a GRAND ICELAND premises, unless otherwise agreed. Failing to return the vehicle directly to a GRAND ICELAND venue is subject to a drop-off charges as per GRAND ICELAND‘s current price list.
• With the fuel tank in the same level as stated on the inspection form.
• If the vehicle is returned outside of normal opening hours and/or outside the business premises of GRAND ICELAND it shall remain the responsibility of the renter until GRAND ICELAND has received it and registered the return of the vehicle.
• GRAND ICELAND shall be authorized to charge the credit card of the renter for the lease of the vehicle as well as other payments that the renter must pay according to the lease and its terms, including payments for damages to the vehicle during the period of the lease agreement. GRAND ICELAND has the sole right to determine when this will be done and whether this is done in one or more payments. This right shall remain in force for six months after the vehicle has been returned to GRAND ICELAND.
• If the renter does not return the vehicle at the time agreed upon in this lease, or does not declare his intention to extend the lease, GRAND ICELAND or the police are authorized to repossess the vehicle without further notice and at the renter’s expense. Extending the lease is dependent on the consent of GRAND ICELAND. If the renter returns the vehicle 1 hour or later after the lease has expired, GRAND ICELAND is authorized to charge up to 24-hours rental under the terms of this lease.
• The vehicle shall be handled and driven carefully. Only those designated as drivers on the front page of this agreement are authorized to drive the vehicle. The renter is liable for all damage resulting from use of the vehicle that will not be compensated for by the vehicle’s insurance company. This includes damage to the vehicle and/or injury to passengers due to the following:
• off-road driving, such as on tracks and rough trails, beaces etc.;
• driving in or across rivers or any kind of waters;
• driving in snowdrifts and ice;
• driving on roads marked F on official maps as well as Kjalvegur (Road No. 35) through Kaldidalur (Road No. 550) and Jökulhálsleið (Road No. 570). Violation of this sub-paragraph is subject to a fine of ISK 35.000 by GRAND ICELAND in addition to the fine charged by the police. The abovementioned provisions on fines do not affect the obligations of the renter to pay GRAND ICELAND compensation for loss or damage.
• intentional acts or gross negligence;
• use of intoxicants by the driver;
• vehicle use that contravenes Icelandic law and/or the provisions of this lease.
• In the event of a collision or accident, the renter shall immediately notify both an authorized accident service agent and GRAND ICELAND. The renter may not leave the scene before a representative of GRAND ICELAND has arrived.
• The number of kilometers (km) the vehicle is driven while this agreement is in effect is determined by the reading of the appropriate meter supplied by the manufacturer of the vehicle. The renter shall notify GRAND ICELAND, without delay if the odometer is out of order or stops functioning during the rental period.
• GRAND ICELAND is not responsible for the disappearance of or damage to property that the renter or any other party leaves in or transports with the vehicle.
• The renter agrees to pay GRAND ICELAND, upon request:
a) a deposit amounting to the estimated cost of leasing the vehicle;
b) any and all expenses incurred by GRAND ICELAND if GRAND ICELAND has to bring the vehicle back to its premises, in the event that it has been left somewhere, without regard to the condition of the vehicle, roads or weather.
• The renter is not authorized to have repairs done or make changes to the vehicle or its accessories, or to put the vehicle up as any kind of security, without the prior consent of GRAND ICELAND.
• The renter is responsible for all parking meter charges and traffic fines during the lease period.
• The renter is not permitted to use the vehicle for transportation of passengers for payment, lend it to others, or sublet it.
• The renter agrees that the vehicle will be equipped with a monitor that records kilometers, location, condition and the strain on the vehicle.
Obligations of GRAND ICELAND
• GRAND ICELAND undertakes to supply the vehicle at the agreed time and to see that it meets lawful requirements.
• If the vehicle malfunctions for no fault of the renter, GRAND ICELAND shall supply the renter with a comparable vehicle as soon as possible. If the malfunction is minor, the renter is authorized to have repairs done to the vehicle after obtaining GRAND ICELAND’s consent.
• GRAND ICELAND shall inform the renter of the content of this agreement, particularly as regards the obligations that the renter undertakes by signing it.
• GRAND ICELAND shall to the best of its ability inform a foreign renter of Icelandic traffic regulations, traffic signs and of prohibitions against off-road driving and provide all renters with special information booklets at the beginning of the lease period.
In addition, GRAND ICELAND shall draw particular attention to the dangers posed by animals on roads.
• GRAND ICELAND shall be committed to keep the real-time location of its vehicles confidential and only use it:
a) when searching for a vehicle or in case of emergency;
b) when a possible breakdown in the vehicle is taking place, and
c) for monitoring when the vehicle needs normal maintenance.
• Should GRAND ICELAND wish to limit the use of the vehicle with regard to its equipment beyond what is specified in this lease, it shall be done in writing at the signature of the lease. Such limits shall constitute a part of the lease and its conditions.
• GRAND ICELAND undertakes to maintain valid liability insurance for its business operations and mandatory liability insurance for all its vehicles.
• The lease sum/rental fee includes mandatory vehicle insurance, including liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner.
• Third-party liability insurance will consist of the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time.
• The renter can purchase loss damage waiver insurance coverage as a supplement. The self-risk deductible shall be specified in this lease.
• This loss damage waiver insurance does not cover:
a) intentional damage or damage due to gross negligence on the part of the driver.
b) damage resulting from the driver being under the influence of alcohol, stimulants or sedatives, or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in a safe manner.
c) damage due to racing or test driving.
d) damage due to war, revolution, civil unrest, riots.
e) damage done by animals.
f) holes burned into seats, carpets or mats.
g) damage affecting only wheels, wheel rims, tires, suspension, batteries, glass, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting therefrom.
h) damage caused by driving on rough roads such as to the vehicle’s transmission, drivetrain or other parts of the underside resulting from the vehicle scraping rough road surfaces. The same applies to damage occurring when stones strike the underside of the vehicle. The underside of the car is not insured.
i) damage resulting from driving in places where vehicle traffic is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers, brooks or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas.
j) damage to vehicles not allowed on mountain roads and on roads marked F on a map or a road sign, including the Kjölur (Road no. 35), Kaldidalur (Road no. 550) and Sprengisandur (Road no.26) routes.
k) damage caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kinds of soil material being blown onto the vehicle.
l) Damages caused by wind blowing up the door while opening it.
m) if the vehicle is transported by sea, the payment of a self-risk deductible charge does not cover damage caused by seawater.
n) the loss incurred by the GRAND ICELAND due to theft of the vehicle.
o) water damage to the vehicle, its electrical system, accessories or engine.
p) In all other respects, reference is made to the terms of loss damage waiver insurance (Icelandic: kaskótrygging) as set by VIS insurance company at www.vis.is.
q) The loss of ignition keys. The renter shall be responsible for the cost of replacement, including the cost incurred by the GRAND ICELAND in bringing a new key to the renter.
r) Cost for picking up a damaged vehicle which is not returned to the pre-determined drop-off location.
• This lease agreement shall always be kept in the vehicle during the term of the lease.
• Additions and amendments to the terms of this lease agreement shall be in writing.
• GRAND ICELAND is allowed to assume possession of the vehicle at any time and without notice if parked illegally or if it has been used in a manner inconsistent with this lease agreement or in contravention to law or regulations or if the vehicle appears abandoned.
• If smoking takes place in the vehicle, the renter is obligated to pay for cleaning the vehicle according to the schedule of charges of GRAND ICELAND in each instance.
• The renter confirms with his signature to this agreement that if the vehicle suffers loss or damage for which the renter is responsible, the following documentation shall be viewed as adequate proof for the cost and extent of such loss or damage, regardless of whether a civil lawsuit for such a claim is pursued or not:
a) An itemized bill from a certified garage that has received a CABAS certification according to the CABAS damage assessment system and/or the assessment from a certified garage that has received a CABAS certification according to the CABAS assessment system.
b) Photographs of the damage to the vehicle.
c) A signed lease agreement.
d) In case of minor damage, up to ISK 300,000, a completed damage report by an GRAND ICELAND employee.
• The laws of Iceland shall apply to agreements based on the above terms, including damage claims that may be made. This applies both to the basis and calculation of compensation. The same applies to damage claims on the basis of compensation responsibility outside agreements. If a dispute arises over this lease agreement (or claims for damages of the vehicle and/or related cost), it shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the District Court of East Iceland (or the district court of the area where the damage occurred in accordance with article 41 of the Act on Civil Procedure no. 91/1991) and both parties to this agreement specifically agree to the jurisdiction of the Icelandic courts in any such cases. However, GRAND ICELAND is authorized but not obliged to pursue a lawsuit against the renter in the venue of the renter.